The TUA has updated its School Development Program! This program aims to increase the accessibility of school children to Ultimate Frisbee in and around Hobart. As well as promoting our in-school coaching and disc supply services, the School Development Program also incorporates our annual Ultimate Southern Schools Championship, and the selection and training programs of the U18 Boys and U18 Girls Tasmanian teams that will participate in the Australian Youth Ultimate Championships every year.
The Tasmanian Ultimate Association aims to provide enough training and assistance for ANYONE interested in representing our lovely state to be able to do so, even if they have no prior experience playing Ultimate. As part of our School Development Program, we provide the opportunity for our coaches to come to your school and run sessions with your students, or with your Health Faculty staff. These will allow us to uncover hidden greatness within your student body, and provide development and training opportunities for all students regardless of skill level. Plus, it’s a lot of fun!
This page includes a list of how we are able to assist your school provide the best opportunities for your students, and a schedule of events on the Youth Ultimate calendar, including the Australian Youth Ultimate Championships in October, a brief description of each event.
In-school training sessions offered by our coaching and development team
2014 (Date TBC)
We think Ultimate Frisbee is the best sport in the world, and it’s especially good for students. We’d love to see more schools incorporating Ultimate Frisbee into their Health curriculum, since Ultimate:
- can be played by anyone
- teaches a positive attitude and respect for all players
- does not require ball handling skills, which means everyone starts equal.
- promotes activity and fitness
- develops a mature decision making process
- teaches the importance of making fair decisions under pressure
- can provide pathways for students to excel at an international level
Our aim is to have a school’s Ultimate Frisbee League running next year, so we’d love to get your school on board this year with our School Development Program. The program involves the following components:
1. We understand that it’s difficult for Health/PE teachers to teach a sport that they have no experience in, so, as part of this program, we’re able to send members of our coaching and development into schools to run some introductory sessions. These sessions could be with students, or as a Professional Development session with your Health/PE faculty members (or both!).
2. Quality equipment is also an important part of any syllabus, so as part of this program we’re providing some excellent deals for purchasing discs.
3. The annual “Schools Ultimate Championship” for which any school in Tasmania is invited to send a team (or some individual students) to participate and compete.
4. A support network dedicated to assisting Health/PE teachers in schools in delivering the best possible outcomes for their students through Ultimate Frisbee.
5. An easily readable, waterproof printout of the complete rules of Ultimate, including a summary of only the basics you need to know to get a game happening in your school.
We’d love to give your school some experience at playing Ultimate before the Ultimate Southern Schools Championship in 2014. Although complete beginners will be welcome on the day, it would be great for you to send along students who are interested in the sport and have already experienced it a little bit. They don’t have to be good, they just have to be interested. So in order to give your students the best opportunity, why not introduce Ultimate into your health curriculum?
Our accredited coaches are available to visit your school any time to run some sessions, and are incredibly flexible about how they do this. We could do a single session for a group of students, or several repeated sessions for different groups. We could give your Health staff a PD session on HOW to teach Ultimate to students (will be lots of fun). We could even plan an Ultimate course for 2 to 10 lessons including goals for each lesson, development arcs and other mini games that will improve student’s disc based skills. We’re happy to work with you to give you ANYTHING you need to give your students the best experience of Ultimate possible.
If you’d like to book in a date, get more information or have any questions at all, please send us an email on email@example.com
- Will be run again in 2014
- The date and venue are still to be comfirmed
- Schools can send an entire team (10 players) to compete if you wish
- Schools can send less than a full team to have your players combine with another school (we’ll organise this)
- Will be the basis of selections for the Tasmanian U18 Girls and U18 Boys teams in 2014
- Winning team will get a trophy in each division of Boys/Girls and Highschool/Open
If you would like to register a place for a team (or just a number of players) then please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Australian Youth Ultimate Championships will be held over the weekend of the 5th/6th October in Melbourne, Victoria. Tasmania is sending an U18 Boys team.
Our ASC accredited coaches come to your school, with equipment, and provide coaching to your students or training for your Health PE/Faculty.
For $50 an hour, an ASC-accredited Ultimate Coach will deliver a program customised to your school, based on number of students, staff, time available, equipment available, etc.
Professional-quality discs available for $12 each (for purchases of 10 or more).
Our discs are official 175g Ultrastars, the same piece of equipment used for all levels of Ultimate from beginner leagues to World Championships (think: “Sherrin”). These have an RRP of $15 (cheap!) and during this School Development Program we’re going to sell them for $12 each if you purchase 10 or more. That’s 20% off. What other piece of world-class sporting equipment can you purchase for so little?
For class activities, our coaching and development team recommends one disc between two participants. For a school with classes up to 30 students, we recommend 15 discs for a class set. $180 will give you everything you need to teach all your students Ultimate Frisbee.
As part of our Schools Development Program, we’re offering to combine all of the above into one attractive package. For a single payment of $260, you will receive:
- 15 discs ($225)
- 2 hours of coaching/training sessions at your school ($100)
- 1 high-quality A4 rules booklet ($7)
This package gives you more than $330 worth of value for $260.
If you would like to purchase any of the above options, or contact us for further information, please send an email to email@example.com. We’re really happy to chat and give you more information on any of the information above.
We look forward to helping you deliver the best opportunities for your students to experience this most amazing sport.